Are you looking for an unforgettable adventure? Join a sport fishing charter for a day of fun and excitement on a private boat charter, or go for one of their many group fishing trips.
Maui’s experienced captains and deckhands will take you to some of the best fishing spots in the area so you can bring home a prize catch.
They offer a variety of packages to suit your needs, from beginner-friendly cruises to all-out fishing tournaments for the experienced angler. Keep in mind that for the best fishing spots in the deeper water that are most likely to land you a bigger catch, choose the full-day 8- or 10-hour tours.
With top-notch equipment, knowledgeable staff, and unbeatable views, even if you don’t catch anything you’ll have a good time. So, check out the options and make some amazing memories!
Who is deep-sea fishing for?
In general, sport fishing charters are a popular activity for those looking for a unique and exciting way to experience the ocean and marine life around Maui. They are suitable for families, couples and groups of friends. It is always recommended to check the company’s website, or contact them directly for the most recent information on prices, schedules and amenities.
Where to board deep-sea sportfishing charters?
Deep-sea sportfishing charters on Maui typically depart from the main marinas and harbors around the island. Some popular departure locations include:
- Lahaina Harbor: Located on the west side of Maui in the historic town of Lahaina, this is one of the main departure points for sportfishing charters on the island.
- Maalaea Harbor: Located on the southwest coast of Maui, this harbor is a popular departure point for sportfishing charters, as well as other ocean activities such as snorkeling and dolphin watching.
- Kihei Boat Ramp: Located on the south coast of Maui, this boat ramp is a popular departure point for sportfishing charters.
- Kaanapali Beach: Located on the west side of Maui, this beach is a popular departure point for sportfishing charters, as well as other ocean activities such as snorkeling and dolphin watching.
What fish can you catch deep-sea fishing off Maui?
The types of fish that can be caught on a sport fishing cruise in Maui include:
- Blue Marlin,
- Striped Marlin,
- Ahi (Yellowfin Tuna),
- Mahi-Mahi (Dorado),
- Ono (Wahoo),
- and many other species.
The time of year and the location of the trip will determine the type of fish you’re more likely to catch, and if there is a fish you want to target, ask before you book; some captains have preferences for fish to go after, too.
Choose full-day and half-day trips, as well as private charters for individuals or groups. The boats used for these cruises are typically large and well-equipped, with amenities such as air-conditioned cabins, bathrooms, and kitchens. Some boats also have fighting chairs and outriggers for trolling.
Is equipment provided?
Sport fishing cruises on Maui are typically led by experienced captains and crew members who have a wealth of knowledge about the local waters and the best fishing spots.
They will provide all the necessary equipment, including rods, reels, bait, and tackle, and they will also clean and fillet the fish caught and share with you what you can reasonably eat on your stay. All you have to do is catch the fish!
What are the top-rated fishing charters?
Maui has many sport fishing charters, and the top-rated ones may vary depending on the source of the review and the personal experience of the reviewers. However, some sport fishing cruises that have generally received positive reviews from visitors include:
- Hinatea Sport Fishing: Fish caught aboard Hinatea Sport Fishing include striped and blue marlin, mahi mahi (dorado/dolphin fish), ono (wahoo), ahi (yellowfin tuna), big-eye, and aku (skipjack tuna). Rates.
- Die Hard: If you’re serious about fishing, and don’t mind leaving in the middle of the night, then Die Hard’s for you. Rates.
- Rascal Charters: One of the few South Maui charter companies offering both share and private charters. Rates.
- Start Me Up Sport Fishing operates two trolling boats out of Lahaina Harbor. 4-6 hour trips are most common. Rates on the sidebar.
- Maui Fun Charters: Maui bottom fishing charters near Kihei, Wailea and Lahaina. Private whale watches during whale season.