Maui is has a variety of grocery stores for your vacation needs, ranging from large chain supermarkets like Costco and Safeway, to small, specialty and locally-owned markets and farmers markets. For the best food quality and prices, shop where the locals shop.
Locals on Maui generally shop for groceries at a variety of supermarkets, farmers markets, and specialty stores and neighborhood markets for their everyday needs. These can be a good option for finding unique, hard-to-find items, as well as supporting local businesses.
- Some popular supermarkets on Maui include Safeway, Foodland, and Times Supermarket, which are all located throughout the island. Maui isn’t that big so it is easy to find grocery stores, especially if you are staying anywhere but East Maui.
- Farmers markets are also a great option for fresh produce, and there are many to choose from, including the Maui Swap Meet, Upcountry Farmers Market, and Napili Farmers Market.
- For specialty items and organic produce, locals may visit stores like Mana Foods, Down to Earth, and Whole Foods Market.
Some popular natural food stores on the island include Mana Foods in Paia, Down to Earth in Kahului, and Alive and Well in Kihei.
- Mana Foods is a health food store located in Paia on the north shore of Maui, and is particularly known for its selection of organic and locally-sourced produce, as well as its extensive bulk foods section.
- Down to Earth is a large store with a wide variety of natural and organic products, including many vegetarian and vegan options.
- Alive and Well specializes in health supplements and natural remedies, as well as organic produce and specialty food items.
All three stores have a loyal following among locals and visitors alike, so it may be worth checking out each one to see which fits your needs and preferences best.
Mana Foods in Paia
It has a strong commitment to supporting local farmers and producers, and the store’s produce section features a variety of fruits and vegetables grown on Maui and other nearby islands. The store also offers a large selection of bulk foods, including grains, nuts, and spices, as well as a wide range of gluten-free and vegan products.
In addition to its retail store, Mana Foods also operates a deli that serves a variety of fresh and healthy meals, including salads, sandwiches, and smoothies. The deli is a popular destination for both locals and tourists, and many people stop by for a quick lunch or to pick up food for a picnic or beach day.
Compare prices and shop around to find the best deals.
Here are some of the best places to shop for groceries on the island:
- Mana Foods: Located in Paia, this locally-owned market is known for its selection of organic and locally-grown produce, as well as a wide range of natural and specialty products.
- Foodland: This popular chain has several locations on Maui, including in Kihei and Lahaina. It offers a good selection of standard grocery items, as well as locally-grown produce and an in-store bakery. It has a good selection of fresh produce, meats, and seafood, as well as a wide variety of prepared meals. Foodland is a popular choice for locals looking for affordable prices. They are known for their poke, a traditional Hawaiian dish made with raw fish.
- Target: This national chain store has a good selection of groceries, including fresh produce, meats, and seafood. It is a convenient option for tourists who are staying in a vacation rental and need to stock up on supplies. There is a Target located in Kahului.
- Safeway: With locations including in Kahului, Kihei, and Lahaina, Safeway is a convenient choice for those looking for a wide variety of products at competitive prices. It has a wide selection of fresh produce, meats, and seafood, as well as a large selection of prepared meals. Safeway is also known for their deli counter, where you can find a variety of sandwiches and prepared foods.
- Wholesale Unlimited: This discount store in Kahului is a great place to stock up on bulk items and household essentials at low prices.
- Farmer’s markets: Maui has several farmer’s markets where you can buy fresh, locally-grown produce and other products directly from the growers. Some popular ones include the Upcountry Farmer’s Market in Pukalani and the Lahaina Farmer’s Market on Front Street.
- Costco: Costco is a membership-based warehouse store that is popular on Maui. They offer a variety of products in bulk, including fresh produce, meats, and dairy items. Costco is also known for their affordable gas prices and take-out pizzas.
- Whole Foods Market: Whole Foods is a natural foods grocery store chain that is popular on Maui. They offer a wide range of organic and natural products, including fresh produce, meat, and dairy items. Whole Foods is also known for their salad and hot food bars, where you can find a variety of healthy and tasty prepared foods.
The most popular grocery stores on Maui grouped by location:
West Maui Grocery Stores:
- Times Supermarket (Honokowai)
- Foodland (Lahaina)
- Safeway (Lahaina)
Central Maui Grocery Stores:
- Safeway (Kahului)
- Foodland (Wailuku)
- Costco (Kahului)
South Maui Grocery Stores:
- Foodland (Kihei)
- Safeway (Kihei)
- Hawaiian Moons Natural Foods (Kihei)
Upcountry Grocery Stores:
- Mana Foods (Paia)
- Rodeo General Store (Makawao)
- Pukalani Superette (Pukalani)
Farmers markets on Maui
Some of the farmers markets on Maui, their locations, and the goods they offer:
- Upcountry Farmers Market: Located at Kulamalu Town Center in Pukalani, this market operates on Saturdays from 7am to 11am. They offer a variety of fruits and vegetables, baked goods, coffee, and crafts.
- Maui Swap Meet: Located at the University of Hawaii Maui College in Kahului, this market operates on Saturdays from 7am to 1pm. They offer a wide variety of goods including fresh produce, clothing, jewelry, crafts, and souvenirs.
- Maui Farmers Market: Located in Honokowai, this market operates every day from 7am to 11am. They offer a variety of local produce, flowers, and handmade crafts.
- Napili Farmers Market: Located in Napili, this market operates on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8am to 12pm. They offer local produce, baked goods, coffee, and crafts.
- Kula Country Farms: Located in Kula, this farm offers a produce stand that operates on weekdays from 9am to 4pm. They offer a variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables.
- Makawao Farmers Market: Located in Makawao, this market operates on Wednesdays from 9am to 1pm. They offer a variety of local produce, baked goods, coffee, and crafts.
- Ono Organic Farms Farmers Market: Located in Kipahulu, this market operates on Fridays from 10am to 4pm. They offer a variety of locally grown fruits and vegetables, as well as fresh coconuts and juices.
- Waipuna Chapel Farmers Market: Located in Kula, this market operates on Tuesdays from 8am to 12pm. They offer a variety of local produce, baked goods, coffee, and crafts.
Maui farmers market locations and hours
|Days and Hours
|Upcountry Farmers Market
|Kulamalu Town Center, Pukalani
|Saturdays, 7am to 11am
|Maui Swap Meet
|University of Hawaii Maui College, Kahului
|Saturdays, 7am to 1pm
|Maui Farmers Market
|Honokowai Marketplace, Lahaina
|Every day, 7am to 11am
|Napili Farmers Market
|Napili Plaza, Lahaina
|Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8am to 12pm
|Kula Country Farms
|6240 Kula Hwy, Kula
|Weekdays, 9am to 4pm (seasonal hours may vary)
|Makawao Farmers Market
|3654 Baldwin Ave, Makawao
|Wednesdays, 9am to 1pm
|Ono Organic Farms Farmers Market
|Hana Hwy, Kipahulu
|Fridays, 10am to 4pm
|Waipuna Chapel Farmers Market
|17 Omaopio Rd, Kula
|Tuesdays, 8am to 12pm
If you are looking for good deals on tasty food in Maui, here are some tips and suggestions:
- Look for kama’aina deals, which are discounts offered to Hawaii residents with a valid ID. Some restaurants that offer kama’aina deals are Gannon’s, Cafe O’Lei, and Zippy’s.
- Check out local hidden gem restaurants that serve authentic Hawaiian cuisine or other ethnic dishes. Some local favorites are Da Kitchen, Cafe Des Amis, Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop, and Brigit & Bernard’s.
- Visit Local Deals Maui, a website that features food and drink discounts from various Maui businesses. You can find coupons for coffee, sushi, pizza, burgers, and more.
- Refer to the Top 30 Places for Local Food on Maui list by Pride of Maui. This list includes places for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and snacks. You can find places for poke, acai bowls, eggs benedict, burrata mozzarella, and more.
- Check out grocery stores that deliver.