Maui, one of the most beautiful Hawaiian islands (in my biased opinion), is a popular honeymoon destination for couples around the world. Its pristine beaches, lush green landscapes, and stunning sunsets create a romantic atmosphere that is perfect for a honeymoon or to celebrate a special occasion.
Are you planning your honeymoon and considering Maui as your destination?
From the best areas to stay, to the recommended length of stay, to the most romantic activities to do, we will cover everything you need to know about Maui for your honeymoon. Whether you’re planning a short trip or a longer stay, this guide will help you make the most of your Maui honeymoon.
Why choose Maui for your honeymoon?
Maui is a perfect honeymoon destination for many reasons. Here are some of the top reasons why couples choose Maui for their honeymoon:
Beautiful beaches for honeymoon photo shoots
Maui is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The soft, white sand and crystal-clear waters create a picturesque scene that is perfect for a romantic getaway and showing off. From Wailea Beach to Kaanapali Beach, there are plenty of options for couples to relax and enjoy the stunning scenery.
Lush landscapes create a mood of possibilities
Maui’s lush green landscapes are another reason why couples choose it as their honeymoon destination. The island is home to many beautiful parks, gardens, and waterfalls that offer a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. The Road to Hana is a popular scenic drive that takes you through some of Maui’s most beautiful landscapes.
Maui’s island ethos supports a romantic atmosphere
Maui’s laid-back and romantic atmosphere is perfect for couples looking to spend quality time together. The island’s warm weather, stunning sunsets, and delicious cuisine create a romantic atmosphere that is perfect for a honeymoon. Whether you’re strolling hand in hand on the beach or enjoying a candlelit dinner, Maui’s romantic vibe is hard to beat.
Variety of activities on Maui appeal to anyone
Maui offers a wide range of activities for couples to enjoy. From snorkeling and surfing to hiking and zip-lining, there is something for everyone on this beautiful island. Couples can also enjoy a romantic sunset sail or a couples spa treatment to relax and unwind. Whatever your interests may be, Maui has plenty of options to keep you entertained on your honeymoon.
Best areas for your honeymoon in Maui
If you’re planning a honeymoon in Maui, it’s important to choose the right area to stay in. Here are some of the best areas for going on your honeymoon in Maui:
Wailea honeymoon destination
Wailea is one of the most popular areas for honeymooners in Maui. It’s home to some of the island’s most luxurious resorts, including the Four Seasons and the Grand Wailea. Wailea Beach is also one of the most beautiful beaches on the island, offering stunning views of the ocean and the nearby islands.
Kapalua for quiet honeymoon on the sheltered northwest corner of Maui
Kapalua is another great area for honeymooners in Maui. It’s located on the northwest coast of the island and is known for its beautiful beaches and golf courses. The Ritz-Carlton Kapalua is a popular resort for honeymooners, offering stunning ocean views and luxurious amenities.
Happening honeymoon in Lahaina
Lahaina is a charming town located on the west coast of Maui. It’s known for its historic landmarks, art galleries, and restaurants. Honeymooners can enjoy a romantic sunset dinner at one of the many waterfront restaurants or take a stroll through the town’s charming streets.
Rural jungle honeymoon vibe in Hana
Hana is a secluded town located on the east coast of Maui. It’s known for its rugged landscapes and scenic drives. The town is home to several beautiful beaches, including Hamoa Beach and Red Sand Beach. The Travaasa Hana resort is a popular choice for honeymooners looking to get away from it all and enjoy a peaceful retreat.
No matter which area you choose to stay in, Maui has plenty of options for honeymooners looking to enjoy a romantic getaway.
Duration of honeymoon in Maui
When planning a honeymoon in Maui, one of the biggest questions couples have is how long they should stay. Here are some things to consider when deciding on the duration of your stay:
Recommended length of stay for Maui honeymoon
Most travel experts recommend spending at least a week in Maui to fully enjoy all the island has to offer, more if you want to tackle a few epic crater hikes. This allows enough time to explore the island, relax on the beach, talk about your future together, and participate in bonding activities like snorkeling, hiking, and whale watching.
How many nights are enough in Maui?
The length of your honeymoon in Maui will ultimately depend on your budget and personal preferences. While a week is recommended (and ten days is even better), some couples may only be able to stay for a few nights. In this case, it’s important to prioritize the activities and experiences you want to have on the island.
Pros and cons of shorter or longer honeymoon stays on Maui
Shorter stays can be more budget-friendly and allow you to visit other destinations on your trip. However, longer stays allow you to fully immerse yourself in the island’s culture and experience everything it has to offer. It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of each option and to know your budget and expectations before you decide as a couple what’s best for your honeymoon.
No matter how long you stay in Maui, it’s sure to be a memorable and romantic experience. Quality time over quantity, right?
Maui vs. other Hawaiian islands for honeymoon
Maui is just one of many beautiful Hawaiian islands, each with its own unique charm and attractions. Here’s a comparison of Maui with two other popular island destinations for honeymooners: Honolulu (on Oahu) and Kauai.
Maui vs. Honolulu (Oahu) for couples
Maui and Honolulu (on the island of Oahu) are two of the most popular Hawaiian destinations for honeymooners: while Maui offers a more secluded and romantic atmosphere, Honolulu is more bustling with a wider range of dining, shopping, and entertainment options. Maui’s beaches are also less crowded and more pristine than those in Honolulu, so if you would like a slower change of pace, I recommend Maui.
Maui vs. Kauai for honeymoon getaway
Kauai, also known as the Garden Isle, is another popular destination for honeymooners. While Maui is known for its beautiful beaches and landscapes, Kauai offers more rugged and natural scenery. Kauai’s Napali Coast is one of the most scenic areas in all of Hawaii and is perfect for couples who enjoy hiking and exploring and don’t mind the rustic amenities.
Maui also offers rugged coastlines in East Maui, so you won’t miss out on that if you choose Maui.
Pros and cons of Maui, Oahu and Kauai as a honeymoon choice
When deciding between Maui, Honolulu, and Kauai for your honeymoon, it’s important to know what experience is best offered by each island:
- Maui offers a romantic atmosphere and beautiful beaches, but can be more expensive and touristy. Hana on the east side offers more of a quiet and rustic experience, though.
- Honolulu on Oahu offers a wider range of entertainment options, but can be more crowded and less romantic.
- Kauai offers natural beauty and outdoor activities, but can be less convenient and more remote.
Ultimately, the decision of which island to choose for your honeymoon will depend on your personal preferences and budget. I know I’m repeating myself. Your choice comes down to your vision and your values (and your means).
All three islands offer beautiful landscapes, romantic atmosphere, and plenty of activities to keep you entertained, so you can’t really go wrong. You can always take a small plane to visit the other islands.
Planning your Maui honeymoon
Planning a honeymoon in Maui requires careful consideration of various factors, including when to book, budgeting the cost of a Maui trip, and the cheapest time to get married in Hawaii.
When to book your honeymoon in Maui
I recommended you book your Maui honeymoon at least six months in advance to ensure availability and secure the best deals on flights and accommodations. If you plan to visit during peak season (December through April), it’s best to book even earlier to avoid disappointment and the dog house.
Budgeting for your Maui honeymoon
Maui can be an expensive destination, but with careful budgeting, you can make the most of your honeymoon without breaking the bank.
Some tips to save money include:
- booking flights and accommodations in advance,
- traveling during the off-season,
- and taking advantage of package deals.
- It’s also important to budget for food (and cruises), activities, and transportation.
Cheapest month to get married in Hawaii
The cheapest month to get married in Hawaii is typically November, which is considered the off-season for tourism. However, keep in mind that the weather can be less favorable during this time, with increased rainfall and higher chances of storms. Still beautiful, though!
By planning ahead and budgeting wisely, you can enjoy a memorable and romantic honeymoon in Maui without overspending.
Romantic activities for couples in Maui
Whatever your interest, Maui offers a variety of activities perfect for honeymooners seeking romance and adventure. From sunset sails to couples’ spa treatments, there’s no shortage of things to do to create unforgettable memories.
Maui sunset sail or dinner cruises
There’s nothing quite as romantic as watching the sun dip below the horizon while sailing along the Maui coastline. Many tour companies offer sunset sails complete with drinks, snacks, and stunning views of the ocean and nearby islands.
Couples spa treatments for newlyweds on Maui
Treat yourselves to a relaxing couples’ spa treatment at one of Maui’s many luxury resorts. Enjoy a massage, facial, or body treatment together, surrounded by tropical gardens and ocean views.
Hiking to waterfalls all over Maui
Embark on a romantic hike through Maui’s lush rainforests to discover hidden waterfalls and natural pools. Some of the best hiking trails for waterfall adventures include the Road to Hana and the Bamboo Forest Trail.
Helicopter tour above Maui
Take to the skies on a romantic helicopter tour to experience Maui’s breathtaking landscapes from a whole new perspective. See towering waterfalls, dramatic coastlines, and verdant valleys, all while enjoying a thrilling and romantic adventure.
Whether you’re seeking relaxation or adventure, Maui offers plenty of options for couples looking to create unforgettable honeymoon memories.
Where to stay in Maui
Maui offers a range of accommodation options for honeymooners, from luxury resorts to cozy vacation rentals.
Luxury resorts in South and West Maui
For those seeking the ultimate in relaxation and pampering, Maui’s luxury resorts offer world-class amenities and stunning ocean views. Popular options include the Four Seasons Resort Maui at Wailea, the Montage Kapalua Bay, and the Andaz Maui at Wailea Resort.
Boutique hotels for an intimate Maui experience
For a more intimate and unique experience, consider staying at one of Maui’s boutique hotels. These properties often have a distinct personality and charm, and are perfect for honeymooners seeking a more personalized and off-the-beaten-path experience. Some popular options include the Hotel Wailea, Travaasa Hana, and the Lumeria Maui.
Private vacation rentals
For honeymooners seeking privacy and seclusion, Maui’s private vacation rentals offer the perfect escape. Whether you’re looking for a cozy cottage or a luxurious villa, there are plenty of options to choose from, and if they aren’t too remote, you can get your groceries delivered.
Popular vacation rental websites such as Airbnb and VRBO offer a variety of properties in all parts of the island. Maalaea is a popular area for private vacation rentals (and viewing sea turtles!).
When choosing where to stay in Maui, consider your budget, preferred location, and desired amenities. No matter where you choose to stay, Maui’s natural beauty and romantic atmosphere are sure to make your honeymoon unforgettable.
Maui honeymoon tips and romantic activities in Maui
Maui offers many romantic activities for couples to enjoy. Here are some suggestions:
Beaches to Visit in Maui
- Kaanapali Beach: Known for its clear waters and soft sand, it’s perfect for swimming and sunbathing.
- Wailea Beach: A quieter beach with stunning views of the ocean, it’s ideal for a romantic stroll.
- Napili Bay: A secluded beach with a beautiful coral reef, it’s perfect for snorkeling and swimming.
Water Activities to Enjoy
- Sunset Dinner Cruise: Enjoy a romantic dinner while watching the sunset on a cruise.
- Snorkeling: Explore the underwater world and see colorful fish and coral reefs.
- Surfing Lessons: Learn how to surf together and catch some waves.
- Scuba Diving: Explore the depths of the ocean and see marine life up close.
Land Activities for Couples
- Road to Hana: Take a scenic drive along the coast and see waterfalls, beaches, and gardens.
- Haleakala National Park: Watch the sunrise or sunset over the volcanic crater for a breathtaking view.
- Horseback Riding: Take a scenic ride on horseback and explore Maui’s countryside.
Best Restaurants for a Romantic Dinner
Maui has many restaurants that offer a romantic setting and delicious food. Here are some recommendations:
- Mama’s Fish House: A popular restaurant with stunning ocean views and fresh seafood.
- Lahaina Grill: A fine dining restaurant with a romantic atmosphere and a diverse menu.
- Merriman’s: A farm-to-table restaurant with oceanfront views and a romantic ambiance.
Best Places for Sunset Views
Maui is known for its breathtaking sunsets. Here are some places to enjoy them:
- Haleakala Summit: Watch the sunset from the top of the volcano and enjoy the stunning view.
- Kaanapali Beach: Watch the sunset while sipping cocktails on the beach.
- Lahaina Harbor: Enjoy the sunset while strolling along the harbor
Tips for Planning Your Maui Honeymoon
Planning a Maui honeymoon can be overwhelming, but these tips can help make the process easier:
- Book your accommodation in advance to get the best deals and availability.
- Rent a car to explore the island at your own pace.
- Pack sunscreen, insect repellent, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Research the best time to visit Maui to avoid crowds and high prices.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance for peace of mind.
A honeymoon in Maui is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and it’s essential to make the most of it. Here are some tips to help you plan a perfect Maui honeymoon:
What not to miss on Maui
- Road to Hana: A scenic drive with breathtaking views of waterfalls and beaches.
- Haleakala National Park: A must-visit for its stunning sunrise or sunset views from the summit.
- Snorkeling and diving: Explore the vibrant underwater world of Maui’s beaches and reefs.
- Maui’s culinary scene: Sample the island’s fresh and delicious seafood, tropical fruits, and local cuisine.
- Maui Ocean Center: A fascinating aquarium showcasing Maui’s marine life.
- Luau: A traditional Hawaiian feast with music, dancing, and cultural performances.
- Whale Watching: Observe humpback whales up close during the winter months.
How to avoid the crowds
- Avoid peak season: Easy to say but not always convenient to plan around despite knowing that Maui can get crowded during peak travel season. Still, if you can, consider traveling during off-peak times.
- Choose less popular destinations: Instead of sticking to the popular tourist spots, venture out to quieter areas of the island. Like Hana!
- Go early or late: To avoid crowds, try visiting popular attractions early in the morning or late in the day. This usually works, unless everyone has the same idea and tries to avoid crowds. This is why the Road to Hana is busy at 6:30am.
How to make the most of your honeymoon in Maui
- Plan ahead: Research and plan your activities and excursions in advance to make the most of your time.
- Choose romantic accommodations that suit you both: Whether it’s a luxurious resort, a boutique hotel, or a private vacation rental, choose accommodations that provide a romantic atmosphere.
- Take advantage of the natural beauty: With its stunning beaches, waterfalls, and landscapes, Maui offers many opportunities for romantic walks, hikes, and picnics.
- Unplug and relax: Take time to disconnect from the outside world and enjoy quality time with your partner without distractions.
By following these tips, you can have a memorable and romantic honeymoon in Maui.
Maui honeymoon FAQs
- What is the best time of year to visit Maui for a honeymoon?
- The best time to visit Maui is from April to May or from September to November when the weather is mild and the crowds are smaller.
- Can you recommend any all-inclusive resorts for a Maui honeymoon?
- Yes, some popular all-inclusive resorts in Maui are Travaasa Hana, Hotel Wailea, and Montage Kapalua Bay.
- Is it necessary to rent a car in Maui for a honeymoon?
- Renting a car is recommended as it allows you to explore the island at your own pace and discover hidden gems.
- What is the dress code for a romantic dinner in Maui?
- The dress code for a romantic dinner in Maui is usually smart casual, but it’s best to check with the restaurant beforehand.
- Can you suggest any unique activities for a Maui honeymoon?
- Some unique activities for a Maui honeymoon are a helicopter tour of the island, a couples massage at a spa, and a private sunset sail.
So, what’s your plan?
Maui is a beautiful destination for a honeymoon, offering stunning beaches, romantic activities, and delicious food. Whether you’re looking for a quiet getaway or an adventure-filled trip, Maui has something for every couple. Use this guide to plan your perfect Maui honeymoon and create memories that will last a lifetime.